Thursday, January 24, 2008

That's Tsonga. T-S-O-N-G-A

I promised myself that if Jo-Wilfried Tsonga did the unthinkable (beat Rafael Nadal in the semifinals of the Australian Open) that I would give the 38th-ranked Frenchman a tag on the blog.

Well, he's earned his due.

Tsonga literally couldn't miss in his three-set trump of Nadal, and that's just what he'll have to achieve on Sunday against Roger Federer or Novak DJokovic to walk away with the upset title of this decade. Tsonga's high level of play has been maintained for six impressive matches, making him the Marcos Baghdatis of 2008, a similar feat the Cypriot achieved here two years ago.

So does he have a chance in Sunday's final? I would've given him as much of a chance as I did to beat Nadal. But now, tag-and-all, Tsonga has all my respect. And, a little bit of a chance.

No comments: