Sunday, May 13, 2007

WTA: What Tennis, Anyway?

Recently I've found myself completely uninterested in the goings-on of the WTA Tour.

Lack of Maria?

European swing?

I can't put my finger on it. But I hope the tour heats up just in time for the French. Justine's getting her swing on again and I'd like to see Amelie make a charge again in front of the (always critical) home crowd.

Disappointingly, both Sharapova and Hingis withdrew from this week's Italian Open in Rome. The WTA is continuously having to deal with late withdrawals from top players, something that strips their top events of their star-power and makes for bad PR. Not to mention Kim Clijsters' retirement this past week.

What is encouraging to me is the play Ana Ivanovic, the Serb who took the Berlin title this last week. Two years ago I listened to the French Open radio broadcast of Ivanovic upsetting Mauresmo in the third round. I remember Matt Cronin talking about how big this girl's forehand was. Now that the rest of her game has rounded out, Ivanovic has reached the Top 10 and certainly is a title threat in Paris.

Kuznetsova? Vaidasova? Who else will make a run? Hopefully this can only get more interesting.

No comments: