Saturday, November 17, 2007

Back in Blogness

So after a minor brush with death (AKA my computer crashing), my computer is back up and running (for now).

It's funny how things can get so turned upside down when we become clipped from certain 'necessities' in our lives. During my first weekend in New York for my internship this summer, I lost my phone and felt - well, completely disconnected.

I certainly am a 21st Century adult: completely reliant on my technological devices. As much as I want to be simple, down to earth and free from any sort of attachment to material, instances such as losing my phone or being without a working computer for 24 hours have shown me that isn't necessarily the case.

Perhaps I need to go cold turkey and just wipe it all out of my life? But, in the society that we live in today, that's nearly impossible. As a university student, I'm told (and feel like I need) to check my e-mail daily for campus announcements, etc. And my phone is always on my hip, or in my bag...or palm for that matter.

Is there something wrong with that?

In a lot of ways, I would say yes, that there is something wrong with that. Just like I feel disconnected from the sport I love when it goes into its short but painful hiatus for 6 weeks, being without my technology is as hard as differing between decaf coffee and regular: it's not easy to do.

Yet this time around, I did my best to apply my most recent don't-freak-out-technique: deep breaths. They seem to work pretty well, and I went an entire day at work, school and through meetings without checking my e-mail, worrying about the blog (okay, only for a second) and thinking of another reason why I needed to 'Google' something.

I did, however, miss this girl. Listen and love, that's all I can say.

Through all of that processing, I'm not sure where I've arrived in this post or how I feel about possessions (especially technological ones) in my life. I guess it just take re-evaluating every now and then to know why we do what we do, and what it's all for.

No comments: